Monday 16 August 2010

MS-DOS VOX 01.

01. It begins.

I must admit, that the first post of a blog is never easy, and for as long as I’ve been umming’ and ahh’ing over what to say- I’m quite positive I could have written a book in that time. So, please bear with me if the first post isn’t as fluid as I’d like it to be!

So, where should I start? Myself and my other half have been dog lovers for as long as I can remember, I grew up as a child with three furry balls at my feet. When I first moved out to University, I have to say the one thing that took the longest to get used to would have been NOT having a wagging tail at your feet: the fact you could make a slice of toast, leave it out on the side, and shock horror- it’d still be there five minutes later. It was certainly a strange feeling to curl up at night without a jack Russell curled up at my feet, to wake up without a big black monster licking your face and to eat my breakfast without Frazer barking at me for the crusts. Life just didn’t feel the same without a dog, it was slightly easier, after all, you weren’t out at all hours in the cold walking or even opening the door at all matter of unearthly hours in the morning, however that big doggy size void zone remained.

It had been an unspoken agreement that the moment we were ready, we would buy a dog, and.... Three years down the line I can finally say we are in the right place for another dog in our lives! It seems since the decision was made, we’ve plunged into a world of kongs, of dog beds, training, dog food (gosh, you wouldn’t even realise how much of a struggle that was), leads, fancy collars, even fancier dog tags, dog walking routes, debates about spaying, debates over gender and much more. Instead of discussing last nights ‘tele, we suddenly seem to be discussing how to stitch a crate cover together and a potty training routine. It’s all been rather hectic- and she isn’t even born yet!

The first major decision that we made was our breed. We knew we wanted a small dog to medium sized dog, something that would love long walks down by the beach, but not something quite as small as a pug, or a Yorkshire terrier- although that really didn’t narrow our search down very much!

 The other half suggested cocker spaniels, king Charles cavaliers, poodles, corgis, dachshunds, greyhounds and even terriers of all shapes- nothing seemed to quite fit ‘us’.  I didn’t want another terrier, as Frazer had passed away barely a year ago, I didn’t feel we could have another dog like Frazzie so soon. My Dad had spaniel’s when I was a child- they were lunatics from what I can remember, we didn’t fancy anything like a corgi, another Jack Russell was certainly a possibility, but the more I thought about it, the more obvious it became to exactly what breed I wanted.

Growing up, a friend of the family had two Shetland sheepdogs, one was called Martey (although I can’t for the life of me remember the name of the others), and every year we would receive a Christmas card with a paw print from both dogs. From the very second I saw the breed, I knew the moment I could have a dog- that is exactly what I would have. They were so beautiful, so graceful, so gentle, and the more I researched the breed the more they stuck- convincing Matt was not hard either. I thought he’d be a bit more resilient after growing up with a rather bulky German Sheppard, but he fell as head over heels as I was!

Anyhoo, before I start rambling on, welcome to the MS-Dos Vox, a blog dedicated to my soon to be furry friend- MS-Dos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment